Asset A&D

Equinor and Shell Acquire Schlumberger Stake in Vaca Muerta Shale Block

By Shriya Bhargava
February 01, 2020
a few seconds read
Aerial View of the Bandurria Sur Block

Equinor ASA and its partner Royal Dutch Shell Plc have completed the joint acquisition of a 49% interest held by international oilfield services company Schlumberger in the Bandurria Sur Block located in Argentina’s Neuquén province, for a total combined consideration of US$355 million. Argentinian state-controlled YPF owns the remaining 51% interest and is the operator of the block, which covers a total area of approximately 56,000 acres in the central area of the prolific Vaca Muerta shale play. In addition, Equinor and Shell have also reached a preliminary agreement with YPF to acquire a further 11% interest in the block. On completion of this additional transaction, Equinor and Shell will each own a 30% non-operated interest, with YPF owning a 40% interest and continuing as operator. The block is currently in the late pilot phase of development, with currently daily production of around 10,000 barrels of oil equivalent per day.

More news
Access our Global Upstream Oil & Gas M&A, Financing and Corporate Database
Quick registration, online payment and instant access
View pricing